Thursday, May 04, 2006

TSO: Poulenc and Ravel

I attended a performance by the Tokyo Symphony on the 28th of April specifically to hear the Poulenc Organ Concerto, a work which I’ve heard on recordings for forty years but which, through some quirk of fate, I’d never heard performed.

The program, conducted by Hubert Soudant, began with another organ concerto, this one a world premiere by, as listed in the program, K. Fujiie. It was only after she took her bow at the end of the piece that I realized the composer was female, although I suppose I could have looked at the Japanese text and seen that her given name is female. In any event, I wondered afterward if my reactions during the performance would have been any different if I had realized the composer was a woman. The piece is subtitled “At the Tomb of Fra Angelico”. It did not seem particularly elegiac, and I was struck by how two very different ideas seemed to prevail throughout the work – one jittery and modern sounding, the other lyrical and almost folkloric. It was only afterwards that a friend pointed out that Fra Angelico led a dual life – pious monkish painter and womanizer who once painted a Madonna and child which various interpreters have decided depicted his mistress and child. I don’t know if that duality was being reflected in the music, but it seems a good theory in retrospect. I found the entire piece to be instantly forgettable. It was pleasant while being performed, but certainly not monumentally profound or even particularly engaging.

The soloist, Frederic Champion, was naturally featured in the Poulenc Concerto which followed. This was one of those experiences which, as the old quote goes, was not overwhelming and not even whelming. My expectations were high, but the piece sounded just like all the recordings. Most of the time I hear something new during performances – a nuance at least, something hidden in the orchestration that had escaped my notice heretofore, some little surprise – but this performance was just utilitarian. Perhaps it’s not as great a piece as I think it is; yet, this performance did not shed any new light on the work, and I was frankly disappointed. M. Champion, by the way, could easily enter a silly walks contest – he entered and left the stage in a strangely bizarre manner, like a wildly frenetic wind-up toy. Very odd.

The second half of the program featured more Ravel (see April 23 below). During The “Daphnis and Chloe” second suite, the orchestra and the conductor came into their own milking every bit of sensuality and richness from the score. It was an excellent performance. This was followed by the old warhorse Bolero, although in the publicity and in the program it was listed as “Borelo” – the old Japanese r-for-l and l-for-r substitution. You’d think they could hire a competent proofreader. Of course the audience was thrilled by this chestnut. I can, I believe, live fully the remainder of my years without hearing it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home